Monday, March 03, 2014
Friday, January 10, 2014
Spinning for sweaters
3 plied using the tensioning box that Carl made for me for Christmas.
|First plied bobbin|
This is the first of the plied yarn. Plied on the Roberta.
This is the amount of singles left on the first 3 bobbins.
Saturday, January 04, 2014
He must have used green wood for at least part of it, because the boards have separated, and one even cracked from the stress. a Cedar chest with wide cracks is not much use.
So last year Carl took it apart and attempted to get it back together the way it was supposed to fit. He was able to close some of the cracks but there were a couple of them that were warped past fixing. He put it back together and today he is caulking all the cracks and seams. So it should keep the bugs out. You can see one of the cracks in the top of the chest.
So I guess I can die anytime and I have somewhere to store my sweaters until then.
Wednesday, January 01, 2014
2013 in review.
4 Shawls. (one handspun)
2 baby sweaters.
3000+ yds of Jacob Romney, and 7 bobbins of DK. Brown Rambouillet for a 3-ply yarn for at least one sweater.
Finished the turquoise merino/tencel for lace weight, winding it off onto storage bobbins and will commence plying shortly.
All in all not bad.
And I am weaving again.
Wednesday, December 25, 2013
|He made it|
This! He made it why does he look so confused?
|Tension box from top|
And I have some Rambouillet that I want to 3-ply so I will try it out.
I really appreciated his taking up woodworking.
Tuesday, December 24, 2013
Hats, hats, hats...and one sweater
|Hat for DJ|
back to the needles.
|Hat for Mark|
|Sweater for Ameya|
Friday, December 06, 2013
Winter is here
Thursday, November 28, 2013
Carl scrubbed the dining area of the kitchen, then the kitchen, and the bathroom.
The dining area looks brighter because there is a large window in there.
Today I am thankful that Carl does the scrubbing of floors instead of me having to do it.
I am also thankful for my new spinning wheel.
Tuesday, November 19, 2013
The time for finishing
Another case of the knitting being finished a while now. I first thought I would sew in a zipper but could not find a zipper the right color. Then I changed my mind and decided on the dragon clasps.
Here is the front with it's clasps all attached. This is a heavy warm sweater and I plan on enjoying it this winter and for many winters to come.
The sleeves I am particularly happy with. The intarsia in the round to do the white stripe was something I had not done before although I had read of the technique. Do not think that I will be doing a lot of it, (it is extremely tedious, my knitting buddies eyes glazed over somewhat when I was describing it) but I am happy to have used it here.
Wednesday, November 06, 2013
And it is fall.
|Merlin Tree CPW|
To celebrate I made a sweater for the Great-Greandaugther in a very cheerful pumpkin, (the yarn company calls it peach, but they have their fruits and vegetables confused.
I finished a shawl except for the blocking.
And I am working on the sleeves, (oh no! sleeve island again) of the Drazi sweater - made out of a long color run self striping pencil roving. Again, un-blocked, Once I have finished knitting the sleeves I am going to spin up 10 yards or so and ply to use for sewing the sleeves in.
finished the plying of the Jacob/Romney and have over 3000 yards of 2-ply, heavy fingering/light sport weight yarn, and the measurements, so am swatching for matching sweaters for Christopher and Anna.
I have started spinning this Rambouillet fleece, This is going to be a 3 ply worsted. Spinning fat, fast and fluffy, so it goes fast.
Oh, yes that wheel up there in the Fall picture... Merlin Tree Canadian Production Wheel. It is in CT at the moment, but it will be here by Thanksgiving. A wonderful Thanksgiving gift.