The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Sunday, November 18, 2007

I Spin A Bit

I talk a lot about my knitting on here, but I actually do spin a bit, now and then.

I have a long term spinning project going on the Schacht, and I am a little tired of it.

So a week or so ago I got out the Roberta, set it on the footstool and cranked up the speed and spun this 4 ozs. of roving that I got at Greencastle Fiber Fair some years ago.

Then it sat on the Skeinwinder for a long time because it needed to be tightened up. This involved loosening the lock screw, turning a nut about 1/4 inch, and re-tightening the screw.

The Whole operation took 2 minutes, including walking over to the drawer and getting out the screwdriver. So will someone explain why it took weeks for me to do it?

Then putting the skein on the swift and re-skeining it took only a bit longer, so under 10 minutes for the whole thing. Such a big deal!

I do this sort of thing more often than I should, I need to do something, I sit and brood about it for a lot longer than it would take to just get up and do it. It spoils my enjoyment of whatever I am doing while I am brooding, and makes me feel foolish once I finally go do whatever it is.

I am leaving here on Tuesday, driving my mom to Va Beach, to have Thanksgiving at my brother's. Mom says that Bryan (brother) doesn't like me knitting, that I should be visiting, so she has ask me not to knit at his house. The compromise is that I will leave the knitting in the car, so I hope it is not too cold in Little Creek, right on the bay, because I expect I will spend a good deal of time sitting in the car. I hate parties, I am deaf, the brothers will have the TV on full blast on some sports event, and they will be shouting over it. I won't be able to hear anything if someone does talk to me, and the noise and trying to hear will make me a nervous wreck, so off to the car to calm back down. Oh well it is just one afternoon. But I am already getting anxious about it. Good thing that no one in my family reads this.

Back home on the 26th, so I will be in Louisville on the 27th for Odd Tuesday. Oh, and a dental appointment.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM, Blogger Lola said…

    So . . . let me see if I get this . . . your brother doesn't want you to be knitting, but instead to "socialize", as in trying to understand what is going on with all those background noise. I'm going to have to be blunt and say that it is your brother who is being inconsiderate. I think you need to have a serious talk with him some time. I'm deaf too and I do NOT put up with attitude such as his. I take my knitting along with me so that if I'm stuck in situations like this, I have something productive to do instad of fuming inside.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home