The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Yeah, Me and the Yarn Harlot

The Yarn Harlot has
vowed to knit only on her Mystery Shawl 3 until it is done. Reading her
blog this afternoon, I remembered, (again) that I need to get out
Mark's Lizard and set up the pattern again. Why do I do intarsia? I hate doing intarsia! Especially the 3 or 4 starts because I obviously cannot count. You
know the little patch of color on this side, and the little patch of
color on that side, the ones which meet up in the middle, and therefore
should be started by making sure that whatever the stitch count, every
thing needs to be started by counting from the freeking MIDDLE!
or it's not going to work, and you are going to have to rip it out and start over AGAIN!

Why do I do Intarsia...
Oh yeah, it is cause it is so darn cute. See that lizard? Isn't
it cute won't it be a precious sweater for a smaller than normal 6 year
old that looks sort of like a leprechaun? If I get it started, the back
is done, the front is started, the sleeves will be no trouble if I get
the Lizard done. And while the sweater with just the stripes would be
cute, the lizard is cuter, and I bought 2 balls of yarn that I would
have not needed if I had not intended to do this. So I vow, (even
though there are several orders of magnitudes less people to call
me on it) That
Saturday I will sit down with the chart on the music stand, cut the
yarn into lengths that will be wasted if I don't do that lizard, count
several times, and then verify the numbers and get the stupid lizard up
to where the foot joins the body, at least.
Besides I will have hours of tape from this week to watch.

I am finally getting called to work, (I substitute teach) and taught 5th grade yesterday, 8th
grade math tomorrow, and float while one of the elementary schools does
in-service training: 1 hour for this teacher, another hour for that
one, etc. Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, next week and Friday the
following week. I really like being called ahead of time so that I know
I am going and can plan clothes, and lunch and knitting the day before
and then just go on auto-pilot until I check in at the office.

I get up at 5, drink a cup of coffee, shower, and sit in underwear and
robe waiting for a call, which either comes and I rush around getting
dressed, packing lunch, etc. or doesn't and I get dressed in totally
different clothes, and decide what to do with my day.

There is a knitting group that meets in Madison, Thursday morning, we had 2 new
knitters this morning, one needed knitting lessons the other wanted to
learn to knit socks, and 2 more will be starting socks soon. Sometimes
I get Mom to go with me, she went today. Afterwards, we went to lunch
and when we came out Mom noticed the ice cream store, so we went in and
got cones. Shortly thereafter I tripped on the uneven sidewalk and fell right in the middle of main street, dropped my ice cream too! Mom has called twice to see if I am OK. I am fine, just mad about the ice cream.


Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home