The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Backpack progress



I have to finish Sierra's Backpack today because her birthday is tomorrow. So I got it out, after taking some medicine for the arthritis in my hands. Then we banged in the grommets. Carl helped after I called down stairs and ask him if he had something hard I could bang on, (it has just this minute occurred to me why he came up so fast, and he hid his disappointment well). After we got all the grommets in I started working on the lining. I wanted a (more or less) hidden pocket so she could put things out of sight.
First I marked a rectangle the length and width of the zipper, on the right side of the fabric.

Then I cut the hole out for the zipper, finger pressed the openings, laid the fabric over the zipper, and started pinning.

The side of the pocket that would be closest to the lining was positioned and a seam allowance was folded under, the whole thing was pinned and checked several times.

Then the lower side of the zipper was sewn in place.

Next I folded a piece of material in on both ends and in half and slid it into the opening so that it would cover the zipper, to make the pocket less noticeable.

the part of the pocket that would be behind the zipper and closest to the outside of the backpack was put into place and every thing was checked and then I sewed the zipper seam and the flap and lining in place, catching in both ends at the same time.


Next I turned the whole thing over and sewed the ends and the bottom of the pocket, twice, so that things would not end up between the lining and the outside of the bag.

The ends of the nylon braid was over lapped and sewed on each end of the overlap and back and forth across the braid several times.

Then all that was left was the assembly, I had cut a circle out of Mylar, to put into the bottom of the bag to add a little bit of structure and cut 2 circles of material for the bottom of the lining so that it would not wear out quickly.

I also took some of the left over material (I started with 1 yard) and made a make-up pouch with the other zipper I got yesterday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home