The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Monday, July 13, 2009

I am an idiot, a very good, acomplished Idiot.


There are people who are under the mistaken impression that I am good at this. Well this post should disabuse them of that notion.

I have numerous idiot proof methods of getting the knitting to somewhat resemble the pattern, one of them shows in the first pictures. See all of those pins, they are small brass coil less safety pins that I got years ago, (I found a place to order 2000 of them and figured I was set for life, I need to go order some more.) When I come to a direction to decrease (or increase) every X rows Y times, I count out Y safety pins, place Y-1 onto the last one and pin the whole thing to first
decrease (increase).

Then when I do the next decrease I move one pin up into that one, when I run out of pins I am through with that direction and need to look at the pattern again.

Now let's take a look at these pictures: In the first we see all of the knitting done since the instructions: " bind off 5 stitches at the beginning of the next 2 rows and decrease 1 on each side of
the next 13 right side rows." (instructions abbreviated drastically) See all of the neat pins, the next instruction is knit even until armhole length matches the fronts, see all that lovely mindless knitting...MINDLESS being the operative word. Let's look closely at the next 2 pictures. Hear we see first the left side of the back and then the right.

No go closer here is the right side again, see the 5 bound off stitches and the neat row of decreases. Now look at the left side, see how the 5 bound off stitches Are Not There! See Anita throw her knitting. Hear Anita say bad words.

I discovered the latest proof that as I age I become an even better idiot last night, that is when I threw the knitting down in disgust. Then this morning after I took those pictures I calmly removed all of the pins and pinned them to the markers that go 5 stitches from the edge, (the decreases go inside the markers). Then I (not quite as calmly, I have to admit) yanked the needle out of the knitting and started tearing it out, (that is also about the time that everyone else left the area, (coincidence I am sure).
When I got to the first decrease (2 rows above the mistake) I started to pick up the stitches and rip of the last 2 rows one stitch at a time, then I bound of those 5 stinking stitches. As I pulled out the knitting I came to the start of the last ball and I wound that up into a neat ball. then I continued to pull out the knitting. That yarn has not been rewound, but you can see in the last 3 pictures the 5 stinking stitches, and the yarn mass, and the neat ball. And when all of that yarn is gone I'll be back to where I was yesterday.

Now I need to go spin for 1/2 an hour and then knit, and knit, and knit...At least the sewing is all done.


1 Comments:

  • At 2:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh do I feel your pain!!!
    I hate dumb mistakes like that. There is no one and nothing to blame but one's own flightiness.

    I too have just frogged a bunch o' knitting. Because I forgot to take into account just how much vertical stretch I got when blocking. We're now at the same places -- binding off and starting armhole shaping.
    After being right up there at the place where you three needle bind off the shoulders.
    Grrr.
    At least you only have the back to do. You can feel good about that one :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home