The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Thursday, January 22, 2009

No Pictures- Wait a Few

Because 1) Sierra has my camera with her, at school, taking pictures of her friends, that she will never see again! Oh the drama! Yeah, right in this little town where she sees and speaks to 6-8 friends every time we go to Wal-mart, Kroger, or the Library. After writing this I remembered that I have a camera on the phone, so there are some pictures.

And 2) you don't want to see pictures of the inside of my mouth even if I could take them. So I will just tell you that I saw the dentist again, yesterday.

I swear that people are soon going to think we are having an affair, (especially, since yesterday there was no one left in the building, except me, Wayne (the student dentist who is doing the work) and Gay, (his supervising doctor). I go to the University of Louisville Dental School, because I could not afford the care I have gotten in the last 3 years otherwise. It has cost about $5000. For root canals, periodontal treatment, replacing all of the old fillings, and 8 crowns. There is just no way I could have had all of that done anywhere else. And the work is first rate, if a little slow, but then I take the knitting and I have more time than money. I was there all day yesterday and now have 4 bright shiny new temporary crowns. And a very sore left side of my mouth.

It was after 6 when I left there, and I stopped at the library, to pick up an inter library loan request, then dropped a refused package off at the post office( book club offer I didn't refuse quickly enough in December), and then went to Wal-mart to get Sierra's new school supplies.

While at Wal-mart Megan called in a fuss that she could not find the prerequisite list for the radiology course at UVa and she did not know if she would be able to start in the fall. Calmed her down by promising that I would get on the computer as soon as I got home. (Which I had to do, anyway, to call Amy and give her the information to join the conference call for Sierra's IEP today at 3:30) . So drove through Sonic and got a milkshake (dinner), drank it on the drive home, walked in the house, went to the bathroom, and Mom was on the phone, Megan was beeping in, and Amy had just called!

Talked to Mom for a minute or 2 while looking up the information for Amy, promised to call Mom back tonight.

Called Amy and gave her the information, and chatted a minute or 2 while I looked up the University of Virginia website, and found the brochure and application for Megan.

Called Megan. Went over the prerequsites, and copied and pasted the whole thing into an e-mail and sent it to her. I need to call and see if I can get a copy of her high school transcript, to make sure that the computer course that she remembers taking in high school is listed and qualifies, if so she can apply now, if not, she needs to take an intro to computers, or see if she can get a waver.

It was after 9 when I got off of the phone, and the whole time I had been home I had been looking at a big box, that came yesterday, (Carl was champing at the bit to know just "What I had Bought Without Discussing it First???") Took the wind right out of his sails when I told him it was the school stuff for Sierra that I didn't buy, the school sent it to her.


This morning I unpacked the box, checking the packing slip carefully, and then unpacked the laptop, printer/fax/copier, mouse, cables, and backpack. So as soon as the battery gets finished charging, and we get off the phone for the IEP. She can install the ink cartridges in the printer, hook up all of her cables, and start installing the software. I am going to make her do it, while I sit and look over her shoulder. Then she needs to work through the practice lesson on-line.





She will be attending regular school in Indianapolis, 2 days a week, (riding with Christopher who is attending school in Indie 3 days a week.) And working at home on line the other 3 days. It is a charter school, using the K-12 Curriculum, but since it is actually a charter school, it is an Indiana public school and costs us nothing for all of this equipment. (and her printer has a phone connection so that we can actually fax stuff, which we can't do, otherwise, because all of the computers are on a DSL hub, and the printers do not have phone connections.) This curriculum from K-12 is $7000 a year. So we really appreciate having the Hoosier Academy option.

And now I am going to go sit in the recliner, put the 2nd heel in Mike's socks, and refuse to talk to anyone until 3:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home