The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

What I have been doing

Stove Pad
Wood stove

First half merino/angora
2nd half started
 Last spring, after we turned the heat off, and had stopped using the stove, our new stove pad arrived.  It is slate and beautiful, and I love it.  It is also expensive and heavy as lead, needs 3 men and a boy to move it.  But it is wonderful,  so the rusted old stove just could not be used on my new stove pad. 

Since the stove was out on the porch anyway, Carl wire brushed, and used a chemical rust remover, and washed it down with mineral spirits,  Then I went out and blacked the thing.


Four coats of stove black and it looks like new, So as soon as there is another man to help move it, it will be back where it belongs and ready for cold weather.











On the fabric front I have been spinning laceweight merino/angora, this is the first 2.75 ozs.  on one of my new storage bobbins.  from here,  they have shafts that go into my pink electric screwdriver (isn't it pretty) it is also lightweight and comfortable for me to hold for 40 minutes while I wound that bobbin.  The screwdriver rotates slowly enough that I get to see and check every inch of the single.






The 2nd half is carded and I have started spinning it, hopefully finished by Friday, to ply and start a mystery shawl knit-a-long on Saturday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home