The Fiber Artist

Wow, that sounds pretentious doesn't it. But it is the name of my company, so I decided to use it. This is where I will keep a record of works in progress in the hope that it will result in more productivity. It will also give me a place to ramble on about my life, so that maybe later I will remember what happened in ___ (fill in day, month, year of your choice).

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Not much progress

Things have not progressed as I would wish that they had. The dyeing has hit a snag on the red dye, my teeth have been bothering me, and I have spent more time playing sudoku and feeling sorry for myself than getting any thing useful accomplished.

But having had a stern talk with myself, I am back working on Chris's FLAK and the CIT which must be finished by Sept 30. (to show it off at Midwest Masters).

Chris has 24 inch arms (from center back) so Sleeve island will go on for a while. all the decreases are finished (the pin markers) and I am just sailing round and round and round.

The CIT is past the armhole decreases and growing 2 or more stitches narrower every row.

There are other things, but I am not working on them this week because I have a real push on to finish CIT. It has gone on too long and I want it done!

Chris will finally get himself off to college this evening, so the house will be quieter and the work table in my office will be able to be used, for something besides Chris's 2 computers.

I had better get the jewelry stuff out quickly, he will be back in Dec. after graduating and work until next Aug when he will leave again for graduate school.

Sunday, August 13, 2006

I'm Dyeing

While on the trip, I finished the front of the FLAK and picked up for the sleeve, it is joined now, so I am very firmly on Sleeve island.

I have a theory. The theory is that if you take a bunch of different colors of roving and shove them into a dyepot that you should get coordinating colors.
In the great scientific tradition I am trying out my theory, this is called (if I remember back to school correctly) the Scientific method.

When I went to the Hoosier Hills Fiber Fair I went on a mad 30 minute spending spree and came home with (I think) 10 different colors of Shetland roving. see here

Then I ordered Dharma acid dyes, and citric acid. Got out the 20 qt. stainless steel pot and proceeded to test out the theory.

I put 1 oz of Yellow dye into the pot, 1 tablespoon of citric acid, heated to simmer, simmered for 30 minutes, turned the pot off, and let sit until today. (I did all that stuff yesterday.)

When I checked the dye pot this morning, there was still lots of yellow in the water. Ok, waste not, want not, added between 1/4 and 1/2 ounce. (Very scientifically, open dye shake some powder into water, stir) Got a green that looked good.

Stuffed some of all the colors into the dyepot, after adding more citric acid and more water. Heated to simmer, simmered for 30 minutes, turned off, walked away.

The yellow is all rinsed and laid out to dry. There are 4 distinct colors, so far so good. The white came out bright sunny yellow, the oatmeal is baby poop gold, the light brown is dark gold, and the med brown is a golden brown.
Can't wait to see the green.

Thursday, August 03, 2006


I did the homework for Midwest Master .
First took the Icelandic Fleece that I had pre-drafted and spun it slow whorl, with high brake, so it is almost unspun but isn't. The morrit was much softer roving and harder to get even than the white, which is really nice and even and dense. I may very well contact the farmer that I got it from and reserve a sweaters worth for next year.

Then I worked on the CIT fronts for a while. ripped back the problem cable and got it knit back up, 10 more rows before I start the decreasing. Fun, Fun, Fun!
Mom and I leave in the morning for NY, and VA so when I get back next Wed night I should have some progress on something to show.


Mom and I went to a bead show while my mouth was hurting and I indulged in some retail therapy.

I saw the books at the show but did not buy them there because they were really expensive opposed to the prices on the beads and wires. So I memorized the names and came home and looked. They were much cheaper on line. So I ordered them.

Now e are ready to pull out all the beads and make ourselves and all our relatives more jewelry.